Friday, October 2, 2015

Garage Burglary Prevention



Garages make ripe targets and points of entry for criminals.  You can protect yourself and make life harder on criminals with the following tips.

There are multiple ways, but this we'll cover the most common concerns.
Let's start with releasing the garage door latch so the door can easily be raised.

Usually, a small wooden wedge can be shoved in the top of the garage door from outside to allow room for a coat hanger wire with a hook on the end (or a similar device) to be used to pull the latch that locks the garage door to the center lift rail.  I could try to explain this process all day long and maybe not get my point across, and it is far better to show you in a video. 

In the first link there are two videos.  First watch “Six Second Burglary” then “Garage Door Burglary Prevention”.  Go to:

Another video on “Prevention” may be seen at

I keep a bag of the small zip ties for various uses, and I’ve zip tied my garage door release latch.  I also keep the pull cord wrapped around the connecting bar, so it can be used from inside but not easily caught by a wire from outside.  A burglar may still break the zip tie if he can get the pull cord out.

It really isn’t much trouble to do this prevention, and I hope this brings more peace of mind to you. Once a burglar is in your garage while you are not home it is much easier for them to break through the door from the garage to inside your home’s living space, so prevent their entry.  This door should definitely have a good quality dead bolt.  Even I can very easily jimmy the builder’s door knob lock without even leaving a scratch on it.  I hope this email helps you.

By the way – the “Six Second Burglary” video method has been known and on the Internet for quite a few years, so I am not showing anything new.  Preventing it is the key.  The bags of zip ties are available at Home Depot or Lowe’s for just a few dollars.   You need small ones that will fit through the holes.  You can also string a couple of them together to make them longer if need be. I’ll gladly give you 3 or 4 if you wish, just email me.